: Melinda Arnis
NPM : 10211210376
Class : 3C
We know that English is a tool of international communication in the world. As the first foreign language. Many scientific books are written in English. Therefore, teacher and student should more attention to it in order to be able to master easily. In English language we know is English language is very important for education and all activity, especially in our life. The time that is given at school is very limited, the student get a good technique for study English and teachers should get many various way for transferring it in teaching. Test in front of class is very use full because language is tool of communication, everybody in the world needs to communicate to each other in order to do or get what they want or need in their life. In this case everybody must be able too express their feeling and though by using a tool of communication that language.
Since the years ago, the experts, particularly the linguist have been making many kinds of attempts to facilitate the teacher in language teaching as well as language acquisition either second of foreign language. It can be proved by being developed speaking skill with underlying reason as follows to provide an alternative way for the English teacher to improve their teaching method of speaking, and then to facilitate the student in developing their speaking skills, and to encourage the student to be more active and creative in learning to speaking English. Many people think that knowing a lot of words is a key fluent speaking. It’s true! However, there are many people who have wide idiolect and problem with fluency. They try to learn more and more words because they think vocabulary is their problem. They don’t realize the problem is somewhere else.
Most student graduate from college having had no instruction or practice in public speaking and indeed, harboring a deep dread of having to speak to an audience. The use of speaking assignment across the curriculum not only develops the ability to speak coherently and that general college’s general education program requires all students to take at least one speaking more intensive course. My experience in teaching such courses has been overwhelmingly positive. Student learn the material better and they learn to speak more effectively. They are well aware of these benefits and thankful for the opportunity to take speaking intensive courses. As student talking multiple choice tests. We could guest at some answer and be rewarded if we got more than 99 percent right. As professor, we are not show a list of possible answer, should not be satisfied with guesses, and should not be pleased if 5 or 10 percent if what we tell students is wrong. To give an effective and accurate lecture on it is that we learn by doing. The virtues of active learning strategies are widely acknowledged. We understand concepts better and retain them longer when we express these concepts in our own words. Writing assignments are on way to do this, speaking assignments are another. We have all had moments on insight when we try to explain a subtle or complex point to our students. As our mind works hard to formulate a persuasive explanation, we suddenly recognize a new analogy, a different argument, a fresh interconnection. There is an intimate relationship between logical reasoning and effective speaking. Good logic or not only underlies clear speaking, but can be shaped by it. What to fulfill their general education requirements, each Pomona College student must pass at least one course that has been approved as “ speaking intensive”. There are no traditional public speaking courses at Pomona College. Just as writing not be confined to English courses, so encourage speaking across the curriculum. The college’s curriculum committee recommends that several principles be followed in designing speaking intensive courses to help students develop the ability to speak clearly, logically, persuasively.
a. Problem of speaking learning
We know that the success class will depend on method or technique that the teachers carry out. Based on the above statement, the writer try to find the technique for the test on speaking ability effectively in accordance with curriculum.
b. Limitation of speaking
In this case the writer would like to present the test of speaking ability. It will discusses by presenting the theory of some books.
c. The purposes of speaking learning
In this research, the writer would like to write the purpose of the study as follows
1. To give description about use and the advantages of the test of speaking ability.
2. To give some descriptions about the procedure of the test speaking ability
3. To give some contribute ideas to English teaching process.
A. FINDING DATA
A speaking test is one way that learner is asked to speak and is assessment on the basic of what he say. The test requires the examiners to demonstrate their spoken English proficiency by respond.
A.Speaking tasks to help ESL student prepare for the Toefl Exam
Finding fun ways to practice the test format in a more relaxed way helps students feel less pressured, ensuring that understand the question configuration, etc.
B. The Toefl Speaking section
Most answers that students have to verbally, after reading or listening, demand a 45 to one minute answer. Therefore, an interesting way of rehearsing for this section is to include talking tasks in the classroom that call for an answer limited to this time allotted.
C. Fun activities for the Toefl speaking practice section
Below are some ideas that the teacher can implement into the warm up, ending, or middle part of a lesson, to help students relax, smile and reduce tension.
C. Learning to speaking and speaking to learn
1. students should receive some instruction on the principles and practice of effective speaking. This instructions might consist of a few general guidelines, or it might be a detailed list of dos and don’ts. One of the things i tell students is that we are all prone to nervous habits ( fiddling with a button, putting a hand in a pocket, saying “um”) that distract listeners and signal the speakers nervousness. Speakers are usually unaware of these habits and one of our jobs as a supportive classroom audience is to alert them to these problems. I also tell students that audiences have more confidence in speakers who don’t really much on notes: someone who reads a speech may be just reciting what someone else wrote.
A memorized speech can have the same effect. The goal is to give an extemporaneous speech that tells the audience that the speaker knows the material and is expressing it in his or her own words. I also advice students to have lots of eye contact with individual members of the audience, instead of looking at notes, the floor, or the back of the room. There is disagreement too. Some experts say that a speaker should stand in one place and move about as little as possible; others believe that the energy conveyed by movement has a positive effect on an audience.
2. students should be given sufficient advance notices so that they can prepare for their speaking assignment beforehand. While memorization is strongly discouraged, students should be encouraged to learn the material and to practice before a friend or a mirror.
3. students should express their own thoughts, not simply read or recite speeches, poems, plays, or songs. Speaking intensive courses are intended to help students learn substantive material not memorize lines and to state ideas and arguments in their own words.
4. the students must be in the spotlight. Students participation in classroom discussion is not sufficient to qualify a course as speaking intensive. Each students should be a primary speaker for example, by giving a classroom presentation or leading a focused discussion. Why in addition to these guiding principles, two quite different courses that are both writing and speaking intensive. An interdisciplinary statistics class and a finance class for economics majors. In each class, divide the student into three two quite different courses that are both writing and speaking intensive. An interdisciplinary statistics class and a finance class for economics majors. In each class, divide the student into three persons teams. In the statistics course, each team is given nine projects to do over the course of the semester, each with a specific due dates. The team members work to collect and analyze the data, with one student writing an essay and giving oral presentation, but this is not required. During the semester, each student term paper and gives an oral presentation of this paper. The weekly memos not only explain the teams but also answer the set of questions intended to focus the students attention an relevant information. These question are assigned a week in advance and depend and the performance of the teams. The teams member work together outside class to make the weekly decision and answer my question, with one student writing that weeks memo. Half the teams have one students give an oral presentation of the teams answers to my questions.
One challenge in designing a speaking intensive course is to keep the entire class actively engaged in the weekly outside the classroom, even though only a small number will be giving oral presentations. The use of teams seems an actively team working strategy and also develops team working skill and builds considerable camaraderie.
The student should receive specific suggestion shortly after world (through written comments, conferences with the instructor, or peer evaluations) on they can present their arguments more effectively. Just as the development of good speaking skills. At the conclusion of each presentation, I give the class few minutes to write down constructive suggestions. I then collect these and give them to the speaker at the end of class. The exercise also encourages everyone to think about what works what doesn’t. I make written suggestions too.
Pattinson, Pat. Developing Communication Skills. Cambridge University Press, 2001.
Brumfit, C,J, and J.T. Robert. Language and language teaching. London: Batsford Academic and Educational Ltd, 2000.